Sunday, February 26, 2023

Sarah Snee


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.


I graduated from Slippery Rock in 2020 with a BS in Secondary Education English. I minored in Literature and Writing. From there, I received an MA in Literary & Cultural Studies from Carnegie Mellon University in 2021 and, just this past summer, I received my MEd in Secondary Education from Slippery Rock. Currently, I'm studying at Duquesne University in their PhD program for English Literature. I have a teaching fellowship which means I teach freshmen composition and literature courses while I'm studying. 



2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.


I'll certainly never forget traveling to Italy with professors Permenter and O'Connor to take the Dante's Inferno course. We traveled all across the country while reading his text. The trip is full of so many memories I'll cherish forever and will always long to return to. I made so many relationships with friends and the professors and cannot say enough good things about the trip's organization by the English department. 



3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.


Professors Permenter (who is no longer at the university) and Ruppert are the reasons why I'm at the Ph.D. level today. They validated my interests through the years and inspired me to further my education to the highest level. I cannot put into words how much they have impacted me as a person. I'm still in touch with both to this day and truly admire them to the fullest degree. 



4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?


I was originally interested in education simply because I loved to learn myself and never wanted to leave school, which now makes sense considering I'm still furthering my education. I've always loved to learn and I want to surround myself with others who feel the same. 



5. What do you love most about teaching?


I love learning new things from students and hearing new perspectives. I love the interesting conversations I get to have with the students I teach. They teach me how to be a better educator every day. 



6. What makes a great teacher?


I would say a great teacher is someone who genuinely finds value in what the students have to say. A great teacher opens up doors for students but doesn't push them in one way or another. In general, I would say a great teacher is simply a good and understanding person. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment