Sunday, October 23, 2022

Emily Hoffman


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.


I graduated from Slippery Rock University in the spring of 2021. I have a bachelor's degree in early childhood education (Pre-k-4th) and a minor in special education. I was grateful to have landed a full-time 3rd-grade teaching position at Cabarrus county public schools in North Carolina right out of college. I am still currently at the same school/district, and I still teach 3rd grade and I absolutely LOVE it! 

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.


My favorite SRU experience was definitely my student-teaching experience! My first placement was in a 4th-grade classroom. I was super nervous at first because I didn’t think that I would like 4th grade, and I had always pictured myself in kindergarten or first grade. However, I had an amazing cooperating teacher who used whole-brain teaching and taught me everything I know today! I took in all that she had taught me and I use almost all of the same things she used in her classroom in my current classroom. Because of her, I was able to introduce whole-brain teaching to my school and teach other teachers (even veterans) how to implement it in their classrooms! I also realized that I loved 4th grade, and I love teaching 3rd grade even more!! Upper elementary is more of my jam now, so shoutout to all the kindergarten/first-grade teachers! I don’t think I could turn back now! 

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.


Dr. Tours was my field supervisor and she was incredibly helpful and supportive throughout my student-teaching experience! She was very understanding and calm when halfway through student teaching we had to go completely virtual, and she reassured us that everything was going to be okay! She also made sure that we were doing some form of self-care while student teaching because it can get stressful at times, and she always wanted to put ourselves first so we could be the best version of ourselves for our students. I loved her classes and I really learned a lot from her! 

4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?


I originally was a dance major at SRU at first, but I knew that if I wasn’t going to continue to dance that I wanted to be an elementary school teacher. So many of my teachers (specifically from my elementary school years) have inspired me and made such an impact on my life, and I knew that that’s what I wanted to do for my future students. I’ve always loved working with kids when I would volunteer for Vacation Bible School, and you can make learning so much fun for them!

5. What do you love most about teaching?


What I love most about teaching is seeing how engaged my students are when using whole-brain teaching! They love repeating things back to me and doing gestures that go with what they’re saying and it makes me so happy! I also love seeing them grow from the beginning of the year to the end of the year and knowing how far they came. Most importantly, I love the kids! I love building relationships with my students and really getting to know them and seeing all of their little personalities come out throughout the year! 

6. What makes a great teacher?


Being able to take time to care for yourself is what makes a great teacher. You need that work-life balance! If you are not feeling 100% you can’t give 100% to your students. Self-care is everything! If you want students to succeed and are determined to patiently help/teach them while also showing kindness and never giving up on them, then that’s a great teacher!  

I also have a teacher Instagram @missemilyelementary if other SRU students/Alumni would like to follow/learn more about whole-brain teaching! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment