Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Paula Joseph

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?

I have a BS in Elementary Education with a minor in Early Childhood Education from SRU and a Masters Degree in School Librarianship from Longwood University.  I am currently a high school librarian in Spotsylvania County in Virginia.  I have taught in preschool, elementary and middle school classrooms.  This year will be my 31st year in education.

 

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

I made lifelong friendships at SRU and am forever thankful for them!  This past summer my friend group got together in PGH for a mini-reunion.  

 

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

Dr. Mary Allice Paul was a big influence on me.  She was my professor for my early childhood classes.  She always shared her real life teaching experiences and they left an impression on me.  She always took the time to get to know her students and had a wonderful sense of humor.

 

4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?  

I wanted to be a teacher for as long as I can remember.  When I started school I came home and taught my younger sister everything I learned.  Playing school was my favorite thing to do as a child.  I couldn't wait to be in a classroom teaching!

 

5. What do you love most about teaching?

The students!  

 

6. What makes a great teacher?

I don't have fancy lessons or bulletin boards, but I am a great relationship builder.  My students know that I love and care about them.  I am very lucky in that I have taught at all three levels.  I teach some of the kids now who I taught in elementary school so we go way back!  It is very fun and rewarding seeing them grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment