Monday, November 25, 2019

Hollie Carlson


1.  What is your educational background and what positions have you held?
I was an undergraduate student at SRU from 2009-2014. I graduated with a B.S. Ed. in K-12 Health and Physical Education. My time at Slippery Rock was so unique and so special and I am very thankful that SRU was where I received my education. After graduation, I was a substitute teacher and coach at Rockwood Area School District for 1 year before returning to school to get my masters degree. I received my M. Ed. from Indiana University of Pennsylvania in 2016. While at IUP I completed a graduate assistantship, aiding in research and supervision of undergraduate students. Shortly after, I moved to Plant City, Florida and landed a position as a middle school physical education. I currently hold that position as well as serving as the school’s athletic director.  I also coach a variety of sports year round.

2.  What is one positive experience that you have had with a student?
I have had so many rewarding moments with my students. I would have to say that my favorite interactions that I get to have with the students are when I see something truly click. When they make the connection between having fun in class and how this is really beneficial to their every day lives. I also spend many hours with them outside of the classroom and that has helped me form such strong and unique bonds with many of my students. They truly do teach me just as much as I teach them and I value the time I get to spend getting to know them. 

3.  What attracted you to Slippery Rock University, and in particular, the education department?
I knew pretty early on that I wanted to be an education major. Making a positive impact on the lives of the students I would get to teach was just as much of a goal for me as teaching itself was. I was blessed growing up to have some of the most amazing teachers who were there for me in challenging times both in and out of the classroom. I felt safe with them and happy to be there. I wanted to create that environment for others as well. I chose Slippery Rock University because of the reputation of their education program. Anytime I mentioned a career in teaching, there was always someone there to ask if I would be attending SRU. I also remember going on a campus tour and admiring the small town community feeling. I loved the size of the campus, the student to teacher ratio and how it automatically felt like home. 

4.  What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher education program at SRU?
My advice to current students would be to get involved! I was an active member in many organizations on campus. Those organizations have been a major stepping stone for me. Networking with other professions through those organizations helped me to achieve goals that I set for myself. I would also advise current students to really embrace the techniques that they are privileged enough to learn. There are so many things I have learned at SRU that are being introduced at different times in my career that I feel very comfortable with already because of the classes I was able to take. Your professors are your most important asset. They have so many great things to offer, please be willing to learn. My last piece of advice is to always keep an open mind and an open heart. There are millions of children out there who need us in different ways on different days, be willing to grow with them and build those relationships. 

5.  What makes a great teacher?
I can’t say for sure what makes a great teacher, but in my opinion there are several qualities a great teacher should possess. A great teacher should always be willing to listen. I have found that even on the worst days for my most challenging students, all they want is for someone to really hear what they are saying. A great teacher should be able to lesson plan and have a game plan, but be willing for that plan to go out the window sometimes because it’s not what your students need to learn in that moment. A great teacher should be compassionate and empathetic but have a firm stance on expectations for each students. Finally, a great teacher is someone who wants to teach. Someone who wants to be there for the students and make them want to be their very best. Someone who shows up for them, relentlessly, to show them that somebody care and that their education is important. I share a quote with my students often which says, “I teach because your life is worth my time.” I believe each student, all 160 of them that I see, are worth every ounce of time I can give. 

No comments:

Post a Comment