Monday, October 28, 2019

Sarah Pruss


1. What school district and grade/s do you currently teach?
         I currently teach at Lockerman Middle School in Caroline County, Maryland. My first two years of teaching, I taught the 7thgrade ELA Gifted and Talented Program. Last year and this current school year, I am teaching 7thgrade ELA inclusion with a co-teacher.

2.  What do you love most about teaching?
         I love working with young minds. Middle school minds work in mysterious ways, but I enjoy teaching students the strategies and structures that guide deep thinking. It is inspiring to see and hear the growth of a student through a conversation, especially when it is a topic of interest. It is also enjoyable to create lessons based off of student interest. If I know what students are into, I can match the topic to an ELA skill; with that approach, I am simultaneously tracking their academic growth and watching students engage in a meaningful and purposeful conversation.

3. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.
         In general, my student teaching experience was quite memorable. In some instances, I was pushed out of my comfort zone and I learned through successes and failures. Specifically, I attended a PAMLE conference at Penn State University with my supervisor, Dr. Hilton, during my student teaching experience. We listened to a guest speaker, Manny Scott, who said something that still sticks with me through my teaching career. Scott stated, “You can bring a horse water and make it drink. Give it enough salt.” As I plan my lessons, interventions, goals, etc., I always try to consider what might motivate the student when we approach a skill, topic, or rigorous task in ELA.

4.  What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program?
         You will have teaching years that you will love and others that you will struggle through. You have to wear your thick skin like armor and approach each day with a fresh attitude. You will have days where your lesson goes flawlessly, days where the kids will teach you something, and days where you are worn out. If you go into this profession as an open-minded lifelong learner, you will be a successful teacher.

5. What makes a great teacher?
         Dr. Hilton also once told me that, “Teaching is the profession that creates all other professions.” A great teacher is a teacher who is able to adapt to differing personalities, varying interests, and diverse learning styles. Teachers wear multiple hats and someone who can change that hat as needed is someone that students will be able to refer to, work with, and most importantly, respect. You are shaping the future of our world and it takes a special person to be able to handle the world’s young minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment