Monday, October 7, 2019

Melissa Barton


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?
I graduated from Slippery Rock in 2017 with a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education. I have a certification for grades Pre-K through 4 with an add-on certification in grades 5 and 6. In Spring 2017, I student taught in the South Butler County School District (Knoch) in the suburbs of Pittsburgh. The following school year, I was hired in the same district as a long-term substitute for 5th grade Math. As that position ended, I was hired in the same school full time as a classroom teacher. This is my second year in my own classroom teaching 5th Grade Math and Social Studies (and Science this year too). I am currently working on my Master's degree in K-8 Math and Science through Slippery Rock online as well.

2. What do you love most about teaching?
One of my favorite parts about teaching is getting to know and understand the students' personalities. Each class has a variety of personalities and I love being able to see how they fit together in our classroom. I like the beginning of the year, after the first few days of school, when the students' interests and personalities start to show and I really get to know them better. One of my other favorite parts about teaching is seeing the students grow, not just academically, but socially as well. I love watching students grow as leaders over the course of the year, whether it be by helping other students or by speaking up in discussions. 

3. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.
I will never forget the last semester of classes at SRU before student teaching. I was in a block of classes that only had 11 students in it. The small classes really allowed me to come out of my shell! It was a very hands-on semester in classes and with tutoring at the local elementary school, so I enjoyed it the most out of all of my time at Slippery Rock. I also had surgery on my foot early in the semester and was unable to walk for most of the time, but my classmates helped me out and both my professors and classmates were extremely supportive. 

4What attracted you to Slippery Rock University, and in particular, the education department?
I had been in an education program at a school in Ohio, and I transferred to Slippery Rock after a semester at Community College of Allegheny County (CCAC). I chose Slippery Rock because of the positive reputation of the education department as well as the ease of communication and efficiency with the admissions counselors. I was in contact with transfer admissions staff when I registered for class at CCAC, and they helped me figure out which classes to take at CCAC that semester to make my transition to Slippery Rock efficient and smooth. Sure enough, I transferred to SRU as a first-semester junior and was able to finish the program in 4 semesters seamlessly. That took an incredible amount of attention to detail on behalf of the transfer department and the College of Education, for which I was very thankful. My professors and advisors throughout my career at Slippery Rock have always been extremely helpful and I always felt well-looked after. I largely credit my College of Education professors and advisors with my success in achieving my goal of having my own classroom in Western PA!

5. What makes a great teacher?

A cooperating teacher shared with me the "3 Hs" of a great teacher. It is a balance of qualities that I strive to have each day in my classroom because I believe that it truly describes the qualities of an outstanding educator. The "3 Hs" are headheart, and humor

No comments:

Post a Comment