Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Lauren Yost



What year did you graduate from SRU and what was your major?
- I graduated from Slippery Rock University in May 2014. I received a Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education (Pre-K-4) & Special Education (K-8). I am now completing my Master’s Degree at Slippery Rock University in Special Education with an emphasis in Autism Spectrum Disorders.

What jobs have you landed?
-Immediately following graduation, I was hired at Crawford Central School District in Pennsylvania at age 22. This is now my second year as an 5th & 6th grade Autistic Support Teacher there.

How did you prepare for the interview for the job you landed?
-To prepare for my first round interview, I did a lot of mock interviewing. I would practice introducing myself properly, answering top interview questions, and stating the information I knew about current Special Education laws/regulations. The more comfortable you are with the information- the better your interview will go. I also became familiar with the districts information and got to know exactly what they stand for as a district and community.
Then to prepare for my second round interview, I taught a mathematics lesson incorporating literacy. I made sure that my lesson plans were detailed, the lesson could reach all different types of learners, and I used differentiated instruction. Since I did not exactly know my audience, it was important to be able to adjust my lesson throughout the course of it if I needed to. That is also an important thing when you land a teaching job!

What have you done well at that job?
-I cannot say what I have done “well”- although there are things that I am proud of. I am proud of how far my students have come in the past 2 years. They all work so hard- maybe just in different ways. I am pleased with the progress my students and I have made. One of my favorite moments was realizing that all my students have doubled their reading fluency since the beginning of the year. Proud moment for all of us!
Additionally, I have gotten positive feedback from both administrators and parents.

What types of recognition, awards, honors or even activities have you been involved in?
-I am part of the Autism Program in my particular elementary school. Together we have worked on creating therapeutic yoga, swimming, therapy dogs, and modified women’s services programs for our students in the program over the years. I am also entered into the SRU’s Student Symposium Program for my studies of students with Autism, specifically studying effective coping techniques.

What SRU experience or faculty influenced you and in what way?
-I really enjoyed my SRU experience in becoming an educator. I was involved in three honor societies. In these, I did a lot of volunteering and also got special access to trainings and information for my future career. These definitely helped me compile a solid resume.
Although, I believe that student teaching taught me the most valuable information. It gave me the experience I needed- at times you’re all on your own! This experience allowed me to be creative in my lessons and let me try out some of my different ideas! It is a great time in your life to experience and learn! It also allowed me to see the differences in general education and special education.

What else can you tell us about your success story that SRU students could learn from?
-The main thing I would tell SRU students would be is to take this time in your lives seriously. You are paving the way right now to your future. You have chosen a path that is so admirable and important. In a few short years, you will then have the opportunity and power to make a difference every day in a child’s life- that is a gift that not everyone has thrust upon them. I am often asked why I have become a teacher. The only answer I can give is this, “I chose to become a teacher because it is simply the only way I know that I can change the world for the better”. The world needs passionate and beautiful teachers- be the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment