Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Jen Collins


What year did you graduate from SRU and what was your major?
I am a recent Spring 2015 graduate. I majored in Early Childhood Education and Special Education.

What jobs have you landed?
I have landed a job teaching a Middle School Science and Social Studies in a grades 6-8 self contained special education classroom.


How did you prepare for the interview for the job you landed?
I met them at the job fair that SRU hosted in October. I had researched the school, the school district, as well as the student population, and made sure I knew all of my information.

What have you done well at that job?
I have done a very good job with classroom management and making sure to engage the students in the lessons.

What types of recognition, awards, honors or even activities have you been involved in?
As a brand new teacher, to the profession and the district, I have been excelling in the classroom, had the principal state to other administration that she is extremely impressed that I am a new teacher and conduct myself as a seasoned teacher. I have also become the school's head volleyball coach.

What SRU experience or faculty influenced you and in what way?
Block 2 had a huge impact on my teaching career. Until that point I never thought I would be able to teach science or social studies. However, I found my strength during Block 2 with Dr. DeCarlo and Dr. Yensick. Now I am able to teach with confidence and enjoy teaching.

What else can you tell us about your success story that SRU students could learn from?
SRU has provided me with an education and the classroom experience that exceeds most other universities. The amount of paperwork that I have received within my first few weeks at my new school was very overwhelming, however, I was able to step back and think about all of the fundamental skills I have been taught. Slippery Rock has been able to make a positive name for itself. Many people in South Carolina have heard wonder things about Slippery Rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment