Thursday, October 22, 2015

Jacqueline Bailey



What year did you graduate from SRU and what was your major?
I graduated from SRU in 2012, Summa Cum Laude, with my B.A. in French and a minor in History. Then, I decided to enter SRU's Master of Education program (Secondary Ed), which I completed in 2014.

What jobs have you landed?
Last year, right in the middle of the school year, I landed a teaching job in Port Charlotte, Florida, as a Secondary French teacher. I love it! I am so glad that I took the leap and moved. I live about 1 hour north of Fort Myers, and I am a proud "Port Charlotte Pirate" (our mascot).

How did you prepare for the interview for the job you landed?
To prepare, I used SRU's website to access an online interview practice website, which Dr. Hicks frequently encouraged us to use during our education courses. Using the site, I recorded myself answering teaching interview questions, and I referred back to books and notes that I'd taken during my education coursework at SRU. I think the practice was very beneficial. The questions that I was asked were the basics: assessment, field experiences, classroom management, etc.

What have you done well at that job?
I have successfully completed my district's NET (New Educator Training) program, and I've had several positive evaluations. I also increased French enrollment by 50 students this year! I hope that I'm renewing my school's love of the French language.

What types of recognition, awards, honors or even activities have you been involved in?
No awards yet--still working on that. However, I am the French club sponsor, and I'm also taking on the Drama Club this year! I'll be doing many fun activities, including field trips to see the Cirque du Soleil in Orlando and putting on our Drama Club's infamous Haunted House in the school auditorium this Halloween.

What SRU experience or faculty influenced you and in what way?
I was most influenced by my wonderful professors in the Modern Languages Department, especially Dr. Tom Daddesio. I had many wonderful mentors from that department. Also, my study abroad experiences in Cannes, France, really helped me be a better teacher. I have a wealth of knowledge and experiences to share with my students about French culture, and I don't think that I'd be as successful as a teacher if I hadn't had those. Thank you to everyone in the Modern Language department!

What else can you tell us about your success story that SRU students could learn from?
I think that the most important advice I could give to current students is to work very hard now, because that motivation and discipline shows when you get your first job. Also, don't be discouraged when applying for positions. Keep going! You'll never get one until you try.

No comments:

Post a Comment