Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Victoria Chagnon


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s. 

I graduated from Slippery Rock in the Spring of 2020, with a Bachelor's Degree in Health and Physical Education. I was fortunate to begin my career at South Fayette Township School District, where I am currently in my fourth as a Health and Physical Education Teacher, teaching grades 9-12. 


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why. 

The friendships forged during my college years as a Health and Physical Education major remain my most cherished memories. These friendships were nurtured through a shared passion for fitness, health, and the pursuit of knowledge. Together, we navigated coursework, study/lesson plan writing sessions, and the exhilarating highs of physical challenges and competitions. Our experiences in the gym, on the field, and in the classroom created an unbreakable bond. These friendships were a source of inspiration, laughter, and unwavering encouragement throughout my collegiate journey, and this continues to be the case throughout my career. 


3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why. 

Dr. Hannah Holl. Through her guidance, I discovered the profound impact yoga could have on one's life and career. Dr. Holl’s innovative teaching methods made the practice of yoga accessible and relatable. She seamlessly integrated yoga into our curriculum, emphasizing its benefits not just for personal well-being but also for enhancing our future careers as educators. Her dedication to fostering a deep understanding of the practice was infectious, and she encouraged us to embrace yoga not just as a form of exercise but as a way of life. Under Dr. Holl’s guidance, I not only experienced a significant improvement in my physical health but also discovered a newfound sense of calm, focus, and mental clarity. This personal transformation fueled my desire to share the benefits of yoga with others, making me a more effective health and physical education major. Dr. Holl’s impact on my life and career has been indispensable, as she not only introduced me to yoga but also instilled in me a passion for holistic well-being and a desire to inspire others to lead healthier, more balanced lives. 


4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education? 

Pursuing a degree in health and physical education was ignited by a deep-seated passion for making a positive impact on the lives of others. What initially piqued my interest in education was the experience I had during my own school years. I was fortunate to have teachers who not only imparted knowledge but also inspired and nurtured personal growth. Their dedication and ability to motivate and guide students left an indelible mark on me. Every teacher, administrator, and coach has a teacher from their own past who helped them forge their own career in education. I fondly remember one who not only taught me the fundamentals of the sport, but also instilled in us the importance of lifelong fitness, teamwork, and sportsmanship. Through his mentorship, I not only became a better athlete but also learned life skills that transcended athletics. This teacher's commitment made me realize the influence that educators can have on their students' lives. These experiences motivated me to pursue a degree in education, specializing in health and physical education. I wanted to be that inspirational figure in the lives of young learners, just as my teachers had been for me. 


5. What do you love most about teaching? 

The kids. I find joy in making a positive impact on the lives of my students. Helping students learn, grow, and succeed academically and personally can be incredibly rewarding. High school is a particularly critical time in a student's life. Children grow and mature so much during the high school years and as teachers, we have the opportunity to help shape the growth, and ultimately the future of our students. This is something in which I hold so much pride and passion. 


6. What makes a great teacher? 

A great teacher embodies a passion for their subject, nurtures a positive classroom environment, and adapts to students' needs. A great teacher communicates effectively, with empathy and patience. Great teachers model integrity, respect, and continuous learning. Ultimately, a great teacher's unwavering commitment to student success, both academically and personally, leaves a lasting impact, empowering students to thrive and become lifelong learners



 

No comments:

Post a Comment