Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Sarah Butterfield Kumar



1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.

I received my undergrad in early childhood and special education at SRU. I returned to school online to receive my masters in curriculum and instruction and have a principal certification. 

This is my ninth year in education. I have taught grades K, 3,4, middle school special education, and am now the Associate Principal at Highlands Elementary School.


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why. 


I will never forget the special education trip abroad to Ireland. St. Patrick’s Day in Ireland is an experience I’ll always remember, but seeing schools abroad and the similarities and differences between the American school in Ireland versus schools in America blew me away. However, one thing remained the same, the students loved being in the classroom with their teachers, the most important part of the education system. 


3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.


Drs. Katsafanas and Snyder were two professors I looked up to during my time at SRU and still do today. 
Dr. Snyder presented to two of the elementary schools I taught at and shared his book about what’s it’s like to be a veteran. The students were hanging onto his every word. I felt so fortunate to have had the opportunity to learn from him. 
Dr. Katsafanas is the most kind and patient professor and teacher I have ever met. She is also the most stylish! I remember her genuine compassion and love for special education and I kept that in mind during my first job as an emotional support teacher.


4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?


I always wanted to be a teacher. No other profession ever crossed my mind, because I loved school so much. I remember “teaching” my brother in my parents’ basement. My mom had bought a desk and chairs from my elementary school and I was so excited to have my own school at home. To this day there is nothing I would rather do than be in a school with children. 


5. What do you love most about teaching?


My favorite thing as a teacher was seeing my students grow week to week and reflecting on what we accomplished together each year. Now, as an associate principal, I have the privilege of seeing hundreds of students grow week to week, year to year, and see their teachers grow along with them. I am extremely fortunate to be able to lead and guide students and staff, all working toward the common goal of a positive school community.  


6. What makes a great teacher?

A great teacher is someone who puts relationships first and academics second. A great teacher is easy to spot-just look at the students' faces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment