Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Kelly Siegman


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.

I am 2019 graduate of Slippery Rock University, holding a Bachelor’s of Science in Secondary English Education, as well as minors in Writing and Literature. I am currently employed at Trinity Area School District, teaching 9th grade English at Trinity High School. 

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

I will never forget my experiences writing in Dr. O’Connor’s Creative Writing classes. My time in these classes allowed me to reignite my love of writing, that I had so long neglected prior to refreshing those skills. I also met some of my best friends through my program, who I still remain close with today, and for that I am incredibly thankful! 

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

It’s so hard to choose just one! SRU truly has an excellent faculty of brilliant people who truly care about their students. Dr. Hicks comes to mind as someone who was always there to help his students in a time of need, and provide some great advice for new teachers too. 

4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I absolutely loved to read and write when I was growing up, and to me, there was no better way to incorporate those two things into one career than to become an English teacher, and help others to discover their own interest in reading and writing. 

5. What do you love most about teaching?

My favorite part about teaching is seeing the growth in my students from the first day of 9th grade, to the last day. They grow, develop, and change so much throughout the school year, and I am so happy that I can be there to help them through it! 

6. What makes a great teacher?

A great teacher is someone who fosters an opportunity for growth in their students. Someone who holds them accountable, but also creates an environment where students can overcome and achieve. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment