Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Monica Traggiai


1. What school district and grade/s do you currently teach?
I am a 3rd Grade teacher at Avonworth Elementary School in Pittsburgh, PA.

2. What do you love most about teaching?
What I love most about teaching is the opportunity to positively impact a student’s life. In the field of teaching, you can impact a student by teaching them something they’ve never known, and seeing their eye’s light up when they understand!  You can also simply impact a student by showing love through a kind heart and listening ear. I am always blessed to have these opportunities as I watch my students grow every day, and help them along their journey.

3. What attracted you to Slippery Rock University, and in particular, the education department?
I was attracted to SRU because it was, and still is, a university that allows their students to set their own goals and find ways to achieve them. Even if those goals are not typical. Slippery Rock was the only school with nationally recognized programs in both of the fields I wanted to study, early childhood education and dance. SRU allowed me to pursue both of my passions and graduate in 4.5 years with a Bachelor’s of Science in Education and a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance. I am beyond thankful for that opportunity because both degrees allow me to find connections between art and education, and shape me into the teacher I am today. 

4.  Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.
The many field experiences we were given are memories I will never forget . My field experience during Block 2 at Musser Elementary School in Sharon, PA, and student teaching at Buffalo Elementary School in Freeport, PA especially. I will never forget those experiences because they gave me authentic teaching experiences through becoming responsible for instructing students and creating positive relationships. Those weeks spent in the field were so encouraging and inspiring. I then knew for sure I was in the right profession.

5. What makes a great teacher?
 I believe a great teacher is someone who doesn’t just focus on academic mastery, but rather focuses on helping her students become compassionate young learners. Through intentional, well designed instruction that includes play, investigation, and collaboration, a teacher shows her students how to understand the world, their peers, and themselves while creating an authentic learning experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment