Monday, April 27, 2020

Katlyn Zellefrow


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?
I have a bachelor’s degree in early childhood and special education. I am currently a 2-4 emotional support teacher at Center Avenue Community School, an all emotional support school in Butler Area School.  

2. What do you love most about teaching?
The thing I love most about teaching is the positive impact I have on the kids. A lot of the kids I teach have rough home lives. I get to be their happy place. They make our classroom their home and we get to grow together. Seeing the positive things they learn at school makes me the happiest. 

3. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why? 
I will never we forget how helpful, caring, and kind all the staff members were. Those professors that I had for the special ed classes are who taught me today to advocate for my students and really helped to bring my passion of special education out. Cannot thank them enough for opening my eyes to the great world of special ed! 

4. What attracted you to Slippery Rock University, and in particular the education department? 
I knew that I wanted to be a teacher. I had heard nothing but great things about the education department and I knew there was no other choice for me. They proved that to be true. 

5. What makes a great teacher?
A great teacher is one that puts relationships first. If you don’t build a relationship with a child, they aren’t going to learn anything. Time and time again I am faced with negative behaviors. I am able to turn around so many of those behaviors by having that relationship. Students aren’t going to remember the curriculum you teach, but the way you made them feel. Show them you care, listen to them, make them feel loved.


No comments:

Post a Comment