Monday, April 13, 2020

Jennifer Vasinko



1.What school district and grade/s do you currently teach?
I currently teach Kindergarten in the Benton-Carroll-Salem School District in Oak Harbor, Ohio. 
2. What initially peaked your interest in pursuing a degree in education?
I have always thoroughly enjoyed school and learning new things. I had many teachers in my career that were role models, but it wasn’t until I was in high school that I had some superb educators that helped me see my true potential. I felt there was no better way to give back to the education community than to help young children also see their value and potential. 
3. What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program?
Be open minded! Take advantage of all the opportunities SRU has to offer, especially in the field of education. Even if you’re not sure that you would be interested in pursuing that grade level or subject area in the future, try it! Experience will only help you grow as an educator. Try that unique lesson plan, implement a new strategy in your cooperating teacher’s classroom, get outside your comfort zone. This is your time to be creative and brave!
4. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.
My most fond memory of studying education at SRU was an amazing opportunity I was given by Dr. Snyder to travel to Ireland with a group of education majors from Slippery Rock and Edinboro University. It was my first time out of the country and it was a truly eye-opening experience to be exposed to another culture and student teach in classrooms while we were there. I highly recommend student teaching in another country if given the opportunity!
5. What makes a great teacher?
I think this quote sums it up: “Keep showing up for the kids who love you and for the ones who’d never admit that they do.” Some days you will teach kids a brand-new concept and they will have profound breakthroughs. Other days, you will just make sure your students know they are loved. A great teacher knows both of those days are equally successful.


No comments:

Post a Comment