Monday, February 3, 2020

Lindsay Westwood




1. What school district and grade/s do you currently teach?
I currently teach French 1-4, with students in grades 9 through 12 at Ringgold High School.

2. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?
We all know that it’s not the high pay that is the most rewarding aspect of teaching.  All joking aside, teaching is easily the most challenging but most rewarding job out there. Having a student say that they love French, they look forward to French class every day, or that they feel they can relate to me all are what makes the 10-hour days worth it.

3. What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program?
With the heavy emphasis placed on standardized testing, lesson planning, and unit building, NEVER lose sight of the students in your class. Students are more than just numbers and data. They’re people with thoughts, feelings, and emotions; make sure they’re heard. 

4. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.
The spring of my junior year, in 2017, I was able to study abroad in Cannes, France. My time there I made so many memories and met amazing people through my travels.  My abilities in the French language and culture grew, but I also became more independent, confident, and outgoing, which helps me in the classroom. There’s a whole world out there and I was grateful to experience another country’s language and culture. 

5. What makes a great teacher?
They are passionate, dedicated, driven, empathetic and enthusiastic--even on their worst days. A great teacher also not only teaches, but inspires their students to become the best that they can possibly be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment