Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Carly Bacha



1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?

I graduated in 2014 with a degree in early childhood education and Special education. I re-enrolled in Slippery Rock University in 2017 and obtained my Masters in Special Education Supervision with my Administration Certification.


2. What do you love most about teaching?

Since I graduated, I have been teaching in Arizona. Within the five years I have lived here, I have taught in two districts in Multiple Disability Programs, one of which I helped my current district open and bring to one of their schools. I love working with this population of students and helping them become active members of both their school and their surrounding community. It is a joy to teach others to include all students and all students are so capable. The most exciting thing about being a teacher in these classrooms, is to figure out how to adapt and modify all aspects of the classroom and school so that my students can fully participate and be as independent as possible. 

3. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

While I was a student at SRU, traveling became a tremendous passion of mine! I was fortunate enough to travel to Costa Rica, Sweden, Italy and Jamaica to observe, learn and work in the different school systems in each country. I also traveled to Peru and learned about their art history. I even finished my student teaching in Ireland. These experiences not only gave me a well-rounded understanding of different school systems and ways of teaching, but it also helped me become the teacher I am today, willing to always try new things and give my students unique learning experiences. The professors that created these trips for us gave us phenomenal opportunities to see the world and how education has evolved or is evolving. 


4. What attracted you to Slippery Rock University, and in particular, the education department?

I knew Slippery Rock University was ranked very high as a university in general and also had an amazing Education Department. Many of the professors I had, had so many experiences and real-life situations they were able to share, which I learned so much from. I also loved the town and our campus was beautiful!


5. What makes a great teacher?

A great teacher is someone who is willing to make the impossible, possible for all students. When they see an obstacle, they do not get discouraged, they become excited in wanting to figure out a solution to a problem. A great teacher never says, 'a student can't or is unable to do something', but instead says 'how can we help them succeed?'. A great teacher pushes each student to meet their individual potential, then pushes them even further. A great teacher works well in a team and learns from all parties involved. A great teacher is an advocate for all students.




No comments:

Post a Comment