Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Becca Herron


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?
I was first hired to teach in Virginia right after graduation I taught 3rd grade and Kindergarten. Then I moved to Grove City, Ohio where I currently teach 4th grade. I have taught in this position going on 5 years. 

2. What do you love most about teaching?
The thing I love most about teaching is being able to work with students from different backgrounds and trying to find their spark for learning. This all starts with building good relationships with your students.
3. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.
One experience that really speaks to me is the first day of my intro to special education class. Dr. Merhaut came into class and began to show us pictures of this sweet baby and explaining everything doctors had to do with her when she was born. He then went on to explain that that little baby was his daughter. He then explained their story. This really helped me connect with the class.

4. What initially peaked your interest in pursuing a degree in education?
Ever since kindergarten I have always wanted to be a teacher. As I got older I took a teaching professions class at my vocational school and that really solidified my desire to teach but it also sparked my interest in special education. 

5. What makes a great teacher?
A great teacher is someone who really knows their students and are invested in their academic, social and emotional growth. Not just in the year they have you but in the years after. When former students come with siblings to meet the teacher and visit my room I try to check in on them and see how their year is going and goals that they have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment