Monday, October 21, 2019

Kaci Vandergrift


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?
As I began my educational background, I started at Slippery Rock University as Health and Physical Education Major with an emphasis in Adapted Physical Activity and Coaching. I graduated with a Bachelors in Education, majoring in Physical Activity and Fitness Management with an emphasis in Fitness and Adapted Physical Activity. I completed my Internship at North Fayette Community Center as Assistant Summer Camp Supervisor and Fitness Instructor. During my time at Slippery Rock University, I held multiple roles such as: Athletic Department Student Worker, Green and White Society Ambassador, Student Government Commuter Senator, Jumpstart Program Mentor, FYRST Seminar Peer Leader, FIT Club Treasurer, Women’s Club Volleyball Player, Envision Blind Sports Camp Coach, and Special Olympics Volunteer.

As I continued my education, I completed my Master’s Degree in Health and Physical Education at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Throughout that time, I was a Graduate Assistant for the Special Needs Activity Program and a Volunteer Assistant Coach for Indiana University of PA Women’s Volleyball Team. To start my student teaching experience, I was given the opportunity to complete my credentials at North Allegheny School District student teaching at North Allegheny Intermediate High School Health and Physical Education with Mr. Dave Schmidt and Ms. Melanie Lynch. Continuing my student teaching experience at North Allegheny, I finished my K-5 teaching at Franklin Elementary School, guided by Mrs. Danielle Borkowski. January 2019, post-graduation, the first position I held was a long-term substitute teacher for 7-12 Health and Physical Education, and Assistant 8th Grade Volleyball coach.


2. What initially peaked your interest in pursuing a degree in education?
Before pursuing a degree in education, initially I believe that my experience as a high school athlete, and positive interaction with former teachers, and coaches peaked my interest in wanting to become a teacher. My passion for movement, health, and fitness grew stronger which made me want to share, teach, and work with others. I always enjoyed working with others and taking an active role in my community.

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.
In general, Slippery Rock University has been the most encouraging and rewarding experience I have had in my life. The Department of Health and Physical Education has been supportive and helpful throughout my entire journey. An SRU faculty that had a positive influence on me was my Academic Advisor, Dr. Randy Nichols, because he always led by example and I always aspired to be a role model like he was for other students and the department. Without Dr. Nichols believing in me and pushing me I would not be where I am today.

In addition, I would also like to thank two other positive influences in my at SRU:

Special thanks Dr. Leight for inspiring and encouraging my coaching and leadership career. As well as, teaching and sharing incredible technology trends to utilize in the classroom.

Huge thanks to Mrs. Fagan for fueling my passion for working with the blind and visually impaired through Envision Blind Sports and heartening experiences with students with physical and intellectual disabilities. If there is one woman who can do it all, it is her.

4. What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program at SRU?
One piece of advice I would give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program at SRU is to always have a positive mindset. Teaching may be one of the hardest things you’ve ever done, but it will also be the most rewarding. Volunteer and be involved as much as you can. Colleges can prepare you for a lot but the more you step out of your comfort zone and discover new interests and people it will prepare you and give you the right tools for your professional career.

5. What makes a great teacher?
I believe a great teacher is more than just an educator; they are champions that advocate for their students, value and build relationships, encourage and support learning, they are honest, dedicated, and the list goes on and on but most importantly great teachers help students learn and live for which, is why I chose this profession. Every teacher can be GREAT in their own way and move mountains!

No comments:

Post a Comment