Friday, October 5, 2018

Rachel Hunziker

 
1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?

            I graduated from Slippery Rock in 2017 with my Bachelors in Education. I’m certified in Elementary Education pk-4, and Special Education K-8. Currently I’m in my second year teaching the Intellectual Disabilities classroom at Floyd T. Binns Middle School in Culpeper, Virginia.


2. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?

            The most rewarding thing is the moments of growth and success I get to experience with my students. There is no better feeling than when a student that struggles finally meets a goal they have been working on for such a long time. We invest so much into our students to build relationships and help them succeed, and knowing you helped them reach their goals is incredible. Seeing the excitement on the face of a student that feels accomplished just makes every struggle worth it.


3. What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students generally?

                Every experience you have, whether at the time you think is good or bad, is an opportunity to learn. As educators we never stop learning even as we start teaching. Our job is hard and sometimes it can get the best of us, but every experience will make you better at what you do. Build solid relationships with your Co-ops, save the things you use for student teaching, and keep in touch with your professors. You will so glad you did when you are able to adapt an old lesson for your new class, or can call an old mentor for advice and suggestions. And above all, know that you are so prepared for what you are learning to do. I know at times I felt like I was going to have no clue what I was doing and wondered if I would retain any of what I learned. But your education has prepared you for whatever will come your way in your career.  Slippery Rock has prepared you with the tools you need to succeed.


4. Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

                I genuinely hope everyone has a teacher like Dr. Bieniek. Coming into his class reassured me of every worry that I had with my career. He was so passionate about Special Education and the students that most people wouldn’t have a clue what to do with. Aside from teaching us amazing things in the classroom, he was an incredible mentor. Dr. B was willing to meet outside of class and even would answer phone calls when he couldn’t meet in person. He was always there as a voice of encouragement, full of support, and reassurance that I was capable of the job I accepted. He was one of the first people I went to when I got my first job offer, and I truly believe I would not be the teacher I am today had it not been for his class.


5. What makes a great teacher?

                I’d say to truly be a great teacher, above all you have to have a passion for teaching and have patience for your students. Teaching is exhausting, some lessons flop, and sometimes you go home feeling defeated. Without passion, we fall into the hole of burning out and giving up. But when you have that drive to succeed yourself and see your students succeed, you get through those hard moments. Patience is especially important, because if there is one thing I promise you’ll need, it is patience, because your students will test it. Sometimes you’ll have students that need extra attention for behaviors, or academics, or will just need to know they have an adult who cares. Patience goes a long way, especially in education.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Aww. Rachel - you are best! Now go take care of those kids! So proud of your accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete