Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Amanda Scholar


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?

I attended Slippery Rock University for my Bachelor’s Degree and graduated in May of 2017. I graduated with a degree in Early Childhood and Special Education. After graduation, I was a long-term substitute within the Butler Area School District for the 2017-2018 school year. I started the year in a 7th-9th grade Autistic Support classroom, and I finished out the second half of that school year as a long-term substitute within a 9th-12th grade Emotional Support room. I am currently a 9th grade Emotional Support teacher at Butler Intermediate High School in Butler, Pennsylvania! This is my second year of teaching and I am so excited to be teaching in my own classroom!

2. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?

The most rewarding part of my job is when students are willing to open up about themselves, and share their little victories with me. During my day, I am often working with students to improve their grades or helping them to complete their work. When they come in to share that they scored well on a test, or that their grade in a class is getting better, it is truly the best feeling! It makes me feel like all of my hard work is paying off, and I am excited that the students would want to take time out of their day to share that with ME! The joy and confidence that they gain from these little victories is so motivating. I love my job and am so excited to wake up in the morning and spend each day with my students!
 
3. What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students generally?

Pay attention and ask questions!! I know those 8:00 am classes are hard, but they are so important to your development as a teacher or for any career! No assignment is pointless, take your time and put your best effort into everything you do, you will thank yourself later!

4. Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

I do not think that I can pick just one experience or faculty member that influenced me positively. Each staff member has helped me become the teacher that I am today, and made my time at Slippery Rock such a positive experience! Simply put, they are AMAZING!

5. What makes a great teacher?

To me, a great teacher is someone who can build, and maintain, positive and motivational relationships with their students. If a student has a good relationship with a teacher, they are more likely to respect them and complete work. Students need someone who they can depend on to always encourage them and hear them out. A great teacher’s classroom is warm, welcoming, and a safe place for students. They are someone who is fun but strict, flexible but sticks to routine, and always positive! Great teachers make learning fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment