Friday, January 29, 2016

Nichole Cropper


What year did you graduate from SRU and what was your major?
I graduated in May 2014 with a dual major in Early Childhood and Special Education.

What jobs have you landed?
I have worked at PA Cyber since July 2014. I started as a Special Education Academic Advisor. For this position I served families and guided them through orientations, scheduling classes, and being a point of contact for both parents and students. I recently interviewed and finally am teaching! I am now a Special Education Teacher for sixth grade students. I co-teach in sixth grade social studies and also have an IEP case load of students who I serve.

How did you prepare for the interview for the job you landed?
I prepared by reviewing special education related content such as the IEP timeline and IEP goals. I also practiced with some mock interview questions.

What have you done well at that job?
I am just getting started with teaching, but I received a positive evaluation from my previous supervisor. I also served the families to the best of my ability by staying after hours at times to help them and going above and beyond when possible.

What types of recognition, awards, honors or even activities have you been involved in?
I designed and taught enrichment courses at PA Cyber and received a recognition from the director of Gifted and Talented at PA Cyber as well as a parent! A parent loved my class so much that she reached out to him and shared.

What SRU experience or faculty influenced you and in what way?

I participated in the Mexico City Student Teaching program, and it changed my outlook on life! In addition to being submerged in a whole new culture for a month, I learned a lot in and out of the classroom. This experience was a life changer and really taught me much about diversity in and out of the classroom. I In addition to the diversity, I learned a lot about effective teaching and even had some takeaways to bring back to my classroom here in the US! If you have the opportunity to student teach abroad, take it and run!

What else can you tell us about your success story that SRU students could learn from?

Do what you can to make yourself stand out and go above and beyond. Reach out to new opportunities as much as you can. Make sure you spend that extra time to be there for your students and individuals will notice! Hard work and persistence really does pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment