Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Joshua Zupon



What has your career path been like?
I currently teach at the Tyrone Area School District in Tyrone, PA. It is located in Blair County right in-between State College and Altoona. I’ve been a Special Education teacher the whole time. I have taught Learning Support, Autistic Support, Life Skills Support, and Multi-disabilities Support. I have degrees in Elementary and Special Education from SRU.

What is the most rewarding part of your job?
Nothing is more rewarding than seeing the kids' growth, and also their smiles. It makes my job. To see them smile and succeed keeps me coming back for more each and every day. I also love to see them fit in and grow as students and people.

What types of recognition, awards, honors or activities have you been involved in?
Awards:
*WALY 103.9 Teacher of the Month
·    * 3 times Middle School Soar Teacher of the Month
·    *POPS Outstanding Employee Recognition Award (Teacher of the Year)
·    *Tyrone High School Renaissance Teacher of the Month
I coached Varsity football, Junior High Basketball, and Varsity Track and Field.
 
How did your experience at Slippery Rock University help you find your first position after graduation?
Being a Slippery Rock COE Graduate got me my first job. I used all of my experience gained in student teaching and field work for the interview. I was extremely prepared and ready to work. My professors taught me a plethora of valuable information and made me the teacher I am today. I recommend SRU to everyone who I talk to.

What is your advice for future graduates?
Work hard at all times. You never know who is watching. Also, "please" and "thank you" go a long way. Use your manners. The last thing I would tell them is always be prepared (or over prepared), and treat the students with respect. Let them know you care!

No comments:

Post a Comment