Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Lauren McCracken



What year did you graduate from SRU and what was your major?
I graduated in the Spring of 2015 with a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education (Pre-K-4) and Special Education (Pre-K-8). 

What jobs have you landed?
I am a K-3 Special Education teacher at New Story. I teach students who have autism and emotional support diagnoses and I also teach Life Skills. Most of my students came to my school from public school to learn coping skills for their behaviors.

How did you prepare for the interview for the job you landed?
I took lots of samples of my work from student teaching to my interview. This included lesson plans, a mock IEP, and adapted materials for students who have autism. I also found interview questions online that teachers get asked often and thought about the best answer before going into the interview.

What have you done well at that job?
My student teaching experience in Autistic Support prepared me tremendously for my job! I use strategies that I learned during student teaching every day at my job.

What types of recognition, awards, honors or even activities have you been involved in?
My education directors at my school get a certain amount of tokens to hand out to teachers and staff who are doing a great job. I recently received my first token!

What SRU experience or faculty influenced you and in what way?
The entire Special Education department prepared me for my career. Creating a mock IEP helped me learn how to create obtainable goals and using PDE SAS in my classes helped me get better at differentiating lesson plans to meet the needs of my students.

What else can you tell us about your success story that SRU students could learn from?
Don't give up on your job search! Apply to every school that has openings in your field and always accept interviews. Even if you don't get the job, interviews are a great learning experience to prepare you for the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment