Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Cheryl VanVoorhies

What has your career path been like?
I followed my teaching career path for 35 years post-graduation, going onto receive my master degree in Educational Leadership. The 10 years prior to retirement was spent as an Administrator at the middle school level. I am currently still teaching but in a different venue.

What is the most rewarding part of your job?
The most rewarding part of my job was when the student's came back to say thank you or during times where I have encountered them as adults being successful participants in society. It's the thank you's that make it all worthwhile.

What types of recognition, awards, honors or activities have you been involved in?
I received the “I make a Difference Award” as well as Sam's Club Teacher of the year award.

How did your experience at Slippery Rock University help you find your first position after graduation?
Actually the friendships I made at SRU helped me find my first teaching position. A group of us navigated south and all ended up getting teaching positions in the same area.

What is your advice for future graduates?
Do what you love-love what you do. The first year will be your hardest.

No comments:

Post a Comment