Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Aubrey Rader



What has your career path been like?
While earning my bachelor’s degree at SRU and working in the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership, I realized that I had a passion for working with college-aged students. After doing some research and meeting with the Career Education and Development office, I decided to pursue a master’s degree in higher education. I applied and was accepted into SRU’s Student Affairs program and while earning my maters worked in the Career Education and Development Office as a graduate assistant. My time in the CED as well as my time spent as an intern in the Career Services office at Duquesne prepared me for a career on a college campus. Shortly after graduating in 2014 I applied for and was offered a position as an admissions counselor in SRU’s undergraduate admissions office. I now serve as an Assistant Director of Undergraduate admissions and love my job!

What is the most rewarding part of your job?
The most rewarding part of my job is positively impacting the lives of both prospective and current SRU students. I love telling prospective students about SRU, my experience here and all the institution has to offer. In addition, I love supervising our offices student workers and helping them become more passionate about SRU and their futures.

What types of recognition, awards, honors or activities have you been involved in?
As an undergrad at SRU, I completed FLSP and the Compass Leadership Program, was in the honors program and served on their executive board, completed a leadership internship in the CSIL, and played on the club lacrosse team and served as the teams secretary and vice president. Within my community I serve as a member of the Harmony Fire District’s Auxiliary and help with a variety of youth education programs at my church.
I was on the dean’s list every semester of my undergraduate career, graduated suma cum laude and with honors from the honors program. I received various scholarships in both my undergraduate and graduate careers as well.
As a graduate student, I was a member of and served as the vice president of the Student Affairs Graduate Association. I presented at a career conference (PennACE) and had an article published in the AAEE Job Search Handbook.

How did your experience at Slippery Rock University help you find your first position after graduation?
Without the connections I made at SRU, I would not have found my first (and current) position after graduation. Because my position was posted as a temporary position, it was not widely advertised. Luckily, my connections in the career office contacted me when learning of the position and as a result gave me the opportunity to pursue the position. In addition, SRU gave me the content knowledge as well as the professional skills needed to be prepared for and succeed in my first post-graduation position.

What is your advice for future graduates?
My advice to future graduates would be to take advantage of everything! You never know what doors may be opened through attending a lecture, joining a club, or simply introducing yourself. College goes by fast and you don’t get a do-over, so take advantage of every opportunity presented to you and enjoy every minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment