Friday, September 11, 2015

Rachel Baker


What year did you graduate from SRU and what was your major?
I graduated in May 2013 with a Bachelor’s degree in both Special & Elementary Education.

What jobs have you landed?
I have been a long-term substitute since I graduated at Valley Grove School District just north of SRU in Franklin. I just landed my first job teaching Learning Support at Rocky Grove Middle/High School.

How did you prepare for the interview for the job you landed?
I think what really helped me was the fact I have Special Education,it broadens your opportunities and knowledge of students. I took a couple extra Praxis tests to become Highly Qualified which really helped during my interview process as well. I did a lot of research online and also on the SRU website to help build my resume. Because I was a substitute in the district, I knew a lot about what they were looking for before the interview. I would highly suggest any teachers to really branch out and substitute in all surrounding districts to get your foot in the door. I also researched a lot of the Special Education dates and timelines.

What have you done well at that job?
I have been able to relate well to my students and create a fun learning environment because of my elementary experience as well. I have incorporated math centers for my 7th grade students and they absolutely love them! They ask me every day if we can do centers. For any other Special Education teachers, I also suggest creating a IEP "snap shot" sheet not only for your own records, but also the other general education teachers! It's a simple and easy way to keep track of each student and make sure their goals are being reached.

What types of recognition, awards, honors or even activities have you been involved in?
While at SRU I participated with Exceptional Adventures. It was a great learning experience and ultimately was the reason I decided to stay in the Special Education field. I suggest attending an activity through that program if you are even slightly interested in Special Education.

What SRU experience or faculty influenced you and in what way?
Cinda Findlan was my advisor during student teaching. She helped me reach my goals and was always there to answer any questions. Since graduating I have contacted her a few times about different job leads and she has been so helpful with giving advice! She actually used to teach at the same school district I am now working in so I am happy to be following in her footsteps!

What else can you tell us about your success story that SRU students could learn from?
I have learned so much over the past two years of substituting. My advice would be to not get discouraged if you do not land a job right after graduating! I personally know what it's like to hear people say, "you will never get a job in Pennsylvania." I never gave up and if anything, the negative comments only made me work harder to reach my goal! Patience is key in teaching, just take a few deep breaths and keep smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment