Friday, September 11, 2015

Mary Leach



What year did you graduate from SRU and what was your major?
I graduated in May 2014 with a major in Secondary Education English.

What jobs have you landed?
I was hired as a 7th grade Language Arts teacher for Strongsville City Schools in August 2014.

How did you prepare for the interview for the job you landed?
I used my experiences from student teaching at Grove City Middle School to prepare for the interview process. The mentorship I received through that educational opportunity enabled me to create an established and distinct interview portfolio. In addition to instructional data samples and lesson plans used during my student teaching, I included letters of recommendations from SRU faculty and staff in my portfolio. Many of the professors I had during my time as a student continued to provide support and guidance after graduation, which made a significant impact. Also, since I live in Cleveland and I knew I would be searching for jobs in Ohio and Pennsylvania, I took the Ohio certification exams to be licensed in both states when I graduated. With the new testing center in McKay, it was very convenient to take the exams and expand my options to gain employment in either location.

What have you done well at that job?
During my time as a teacher, I believe I have been able to connect with students, staff, and the community to the best of my ability. Every day, I strive to provide my students with innovative and relevant educational opportunities, such as literature circles, multigenre text studies, and hands-on approaches to writing workshops. I take great pride in my job and I hope to continue along a path of success. However, I would not have been able to thrive in my career had it not been for the exceptional training I received at SRU and throughout my student teaching placement.

What types of recognition, awards, honors or even activities have you been involved in?
During my time as SRU, I was involved with Rock Readers, SRU Residence Life, and The Rocket. Additionally, I was a recipient of scholarships through the College of Education. At the end of my time as a student, I graduated Magna Cum Laude. As a teacher, I put my copy editing skills to good use as I currently co-advise the school newspaper!

What SRU experience or faculty influenced you and in what way?
The most meaningful experiences I had at SRU took place within my Secondary Education/Foundations of Education cohort. I was able to develop bonds with my classmates and professors, which allowed me to face challenges with the support of a group. Most memorably, Dr. Tim Oldakowski provided me with countless opportunities to grow as a pre-service teacher, which helped to form my identity as an educator and influenced how I interact with my own classes. He shaped my view of differentiation, cooperative learning, and digital literacy, as well as what it means to make a difference in the lives of students.

What else can you tell us about your success story that SRU students could learn from?
My advice to current students would be to define success on their own terms. Work for the accomplishments in life that will matter to you. During my time at Slippery Rock, I surrounded myself with friends and mentors who inspired me to improve and supported me to work towards my goals. It is important to maintain a sense of ownership over your education, your aspirations, and your future.

No comments:

Post a Comment