Thursday, September 24, 2015

Morgan Cashell



What year did you graduate from SRU and what was your major?
I graduated in May 2014 and my major was Secondary Education in English, with a minor in Special Education

What jobs have you landed?
Upon graduation, I was hired as a full-time English teacher at Hill House Passport Academy Charter School in Pittsburgh, PA. I now work as a full-time English Language Arts (grade 8) teacher at Huston Middle School, which is Burrell School District.

How did you prepare for the interview for the job you landed?
I reviewed information and tips that were taught in college and throughout my student teaching experiences. I also researched online for help, and just tried to have confidence in myself. Also, I made sure that my resume was effectively formatted!

What have you done well at that job?
I am really enjoying my new position! I am always differentiating instruction and creating lessons to engage students. It is important to stay current.

What types of recognition, awards, honors or even activities have you been involved in?
I received an award from my first teaching job, Hill House Passport Academy Charter School.

What SRU experience or faculty influenced you and in what way?
I had a lot of great professors at SRU. I was strongly influenced by Dr. John Hicks. He taught me a lot about education and how to effectively manage a classroom. I also learned a lot from my English professors. I learned an immense amount from my mentors during student teaching at Karns City Area High School.

What else can you tell us about your success story that SRU students could learn from?
Keep trying! Education is a difficult job market; there are so many people trying to land the same job! However, you can be successful if you put in the work and make yourself standout. I also went back to SRU and earned my dual-certification in Special Education, which helped me in the career field.

No comments:

Post a Comment