Tuesday, March 5, 2024

John Dietz


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.


My name is John Dietz, class of '07 and '12. I received my B.A. in History from SRU and my M.Ed. in Secondary Ed from SRU as well. Since 2013, I have taught Social Studies at Bunn High School in Bunn, NC.


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.


A great SRU memory was meeting my wife. We had a class together but we didn't really know each other at that time.



3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.


I think Dr. Pearcy and his approach to education was very impactful. I still recommend (and assign) many of the readings in his course to my students.



4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?


My wife has her B.A. in Social Studies education, and recently received her Ed. D. from SRU. Her love of history and teaching encouraged me to get my M. Ed. and begin a career in education. 



5. What do you love most about teaching?


What I love most about teaching is having students participate in learning about history. 


6. What makes a great teacher?


No single thing makes a great teacher. Great teachers are a combination of gentle and firm, compassionate and encouraging, content-focused and willing to continue their own learning throughout their lives.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment