Sunday, September 24, 2023

Miriam Necastro

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.

I graduated from SRU in 2014 majoring in Secondary Education English and minoring in Theatre. In May I graduated from Clemson University with a Master of Education in Literacy. I currently teach 7th grade ELA at my alma mater, Brookfield Schools.  For the 23-24 school year I am moving to the high school to teach 11th and 12th grade English as well as AP.

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

Studying abroad in London during the spring 2013 semester! Not only was it a childhood dream fulfilled, but what could be better than living and studying across the pond with your best friends?! What also made it unforgettable was seeing Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, and the rest of the Royal family in person outside of Westminster Abbey. 

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

Dr. Danette Dimarco in the English Department had such a positive influence on me. Her class introduced me to the richness of World Literature, and how important having conversations and different perspectives are to literature and to education. I continually return to her teachings and wisdom in my own classroom. Another SRU faculty member, Dr. Oldakowski, better known as "T.O." had a positive influence on my teaching to look to utilize multimodal instructional practices and student led projects in the classroom, as well as the importance & relevance of Young Adult literature in today's classroom.  

4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

Many of my aunts and uncles were teachers, so that definitely inspired me to follow their footsteps. I also had some excellent, passionate teachers while in high school who led me down this path. 

5. What do you love most about teaching?

The bonds I am able to create with students through my teaching. Last year the first class of students I ever had were seniors and part of their "Class of 2022 Day" they delivered handwritten notes to teachers who had impacted them during their school years. The notes I received from those former students reminded me that I am making an impact in ways that I may not even know of. 

6. What makes a great teacher?

A person that is able to support their students in the classroom, and in life. A leader that is fair yet firm, available, real, kind, and is that of a lifelong learner. I think a great teacher also can laugh at themselves in front of their students- kids need to see that even though we are in this position we don't take ourselves too seriously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment