Sunday, January 15, 2023

Madeline Kiefer

 


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.

I graduated from SRU in May of 2021 and started working as a building sub at Freedom Area Elementary in August of 2021. This is now my second year at Freedom, subbing in kindergarten to fourth grade classrooms, including general and special education settings as needed.


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

My time at Slippery Rock is full of some of my favorite memories, from my classes and variety of field experiences to time with my friends simply doing life together.


3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

There are so many high-quality professors at SRU in the College of Education that it is impossible to highlight only one that had a positive influence on me. Drs. Walsh, Alexander, Kelley, Snyder, and Zane had the biggest impact on my time at SRU. Their professionalism, passion for teaching, enthusiasm, and compassion for their students set an amazing example for me and make me proud to now be a fellow teacher with them.


4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I pursued my degree in education because it aligned with my interests, skill set, and goals for post-college employment. I knew I didn't want a desk job, and teaching gives me a unique opportunity to be a positive influence on so many lives, as my own teachers were for me.


5. What do you love most about teaching?

My favorite part about teaching is knowing I am making a difference. I love watching students' self-confidence and personalities grow in the classroom.


6. What makes a great teacher?

I believe a great teacher needs to be patient, motivated, organized, empathetic, compassionate, creative, and understanding. When we meet our students where they are, have a clear picture of where we are guiding them, hold them to high standards, and provide positive support towards those goals, students are capable of incredible growth and greatness. As teachers we have the opportunity to foster that growth in a positive, encouraging way.

No comments:

Post a Comment