Monday, November 14, 2022

Catherine Eakin


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.

I went to SRU for all four years of undergrad. After graduation, I worked at a preschool for a little over a year as an assistant teacher. I am currently a long-term substitute in a second-grade classroom! It’s so much fun and I love being able to do what I’m passionate about. My next step is my own classroom!


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

I will also never forget my student teaching experience; it truly confirmed that teaching is my passion. That group of kiddos will always stay dear to my heart.


3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

Dr. Sara Tours, my advisor. She really helped me navigate through my classes at SRU!


4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I originally started at SRU as a hospitality management major; but after the first semester of freshman year I realized it wasn’t what I was meant to do. I was having a hard time figuring it out so I looked through the list of majors and the only one that stood out was Early Childhood Education. I still wasn’t sure so I slept on it. I had a dream that night that I had my own classroom and my passion
for teaching has only grown since.


5. What do you love most about teaching?


I love making a difference in these children’s lives. Seeing their face light up when they realize we are learning about something they like or they see they did better on a test or their grade go up reminds me of why I want to teach. Getting to know the kiddos and have fun while teaching them is my favorite part.


6. What makes a great teacher?


A great teacher is one that is passionate about what they do, makes learning fun, and makes an impact on every child that walks into their classroom.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment