Monday, April 25, 2022

Amber Winchester Wilson

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?

I am certified N-12th in Special Education (thank you Dr. Bicehouse and Dr. Lynch) and Primary Education Pk-4 (thank you Dr. Alexander and Dr. Walsh).

 

I am currently teaching at Pressley Ridge Pittsburgh Day School. I teach 7th- 12th graders in a partial hospital setting. I have been able to work with my team to ensure the successful progress of each of my students.

 

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

I will never forget being invited to speak at the Global Community Engagement forum. It stood out to me because not only was I thought of by my professors, but they made sure to give me a platform in which my voice was heard and respected.

 

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

The four professors named above for sure, Dr. Bicehouse, Dr. Lynch, Dr. Alexander and Dr. Walsh. Each of them have made my education journey one of thoughtfulness and rigor. I have been able to challenge myself to continuously be a work in progress in order to better my students' education and support system.

 

4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I have always loved helping students reach their goals and have the support system to be confident in taking risks.

 

5. What do you love most about teaching?

I love being able to have a true connection and lasting impact on my students. I love the moments when my students reach out to me about a happy moment from their weekend, or a parent reaches out to me about success they've had using skills we've worked on.

 

6. What makes a great teacher?

I work with all parts of the team to make sure that I can understand the whole picture. We bundle our students in family, community, and educational resources. I believe that students have to have all of these parts of their lives connected and supported in order to best help them achieve their goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment