Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Luke Barnes

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?

I graduated from SRU with an undergraduate degree in Music Education PreK-12. I held 2 long term music substitute positions: one at Shaler Area School District, and the other at Seneca Valley School District teaching grades 4th-6th in both. I currently work at Commonwealth Charter Academy as a highschool music teacher.

 

2. Name one SRU experience that you will never forget and explain why.

One experience I had at SRU that I will never forget is playing in the Jazz band and Wind Ensemble on the Music Department Tour(s).

 

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

A faculty member that had a positive influence on me is Dr. Kush; even if you had a bad day playing, or are going through a rough patch, he always believed in you and gave you a chance to prove yourself. It was always nice to have someone pushing you to get better and know they are rooting for you.

 

4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I was inspired by my high school and middle school music teachers Mr. Matchett, Mr. Armstrong, and Mr. Babick to go into music education. They gave me a great experience all throughout my middle school and highschool years and I want to pass that on to my students.

 

5. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?

The most rewarding part of my job has been being able to work with several other music teachers to make the best experience possible for our students. I started at CCA around when the music program started, so being able to help build the program from the beginning has been very rewarding.

 

6. What makes a great teacher?

I always say that flexibility makes a great teacher. Lessons are not always going to go just as you planned. A great teacher can take any scenario, and teach a valuable life lesson from it. No matter what class it is or what happens in the classroom, a great teacher can give the students something to take into their everyday life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment