Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Maddie Morella

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?

I got my Bachelor's Degree from SRU. I’m a 1st year, 10th grade Health and PE Teacher and Freshman Volleyball Head Coach at Annandale High School (Fairfax County, VA).

 

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

In Dr. Brewer's class we learned a ton of fun, new skills to teach students by actually practicing them ourselves.  We learned how to longboard, do yoga, social dance, and spin. Dr. Brewer made the lessons fun to learn, and I had a great time doing them in class!

 

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

Randy Nichols has been the greatest influence on me becoming the teacher I am today. Having him as my professor made me realize how important my WHY for teaching is. Randy goes above and beyond for each and every one of his students. I was lucky enough to have him as my professor and to also work with his wife for student teaching. Both are great teachers, and even better people.

 

4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I originally wanted to start teaching because of my father, Darin. He is also a teacher. Seeing him inspire so many young children growing up made me want to follow in his footsteps.

 

5. What do you love most about teaching?

I LOVE building connections with students. Every student has a different story, and I think that they are all important to be recognized.

 

6. What makes a great teacher?

Compassion, empathy, and patience are just a few characteristics that make someone a great teacher. It is also important to love what you do. In education, you need to have love for your profession, your students, your school, community, and staff!

No comments:

Post a Comment