Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Melissa Everly-Kosek

1. What is your educational background and where have you worked previously?

I have a Bachelor's of Science from Slippery Rock University. I was an elementary and special education major and graduated in December of 1993. 

8/1995-4/1997 I was a School Age Care program Assistant working for the United States Air Force Europe Division in Volgeweh, Germany. Basically the Military's version of Boys and Girls club. 

8/1997-6/2000, I was a 6th-grade regular ed teacher at Horton Middle school, Chatham County schools, in Pittsboro, NC. 

8/2000-6/2006 I was a 6th-grade regular ed teacher at East Lee Middle school in Lee County schools in Sanford, NC. 

8/2006-6/2008 I was a special education teacher at West Cary middle school, Wake County Public schools in Cary, NC.  

7/2008-6/2016, I was a special education teacher at Lufkin Road year-round middle school in Wake County Public Schools in Apex, NC. 

Finally, from 8/2016 to the present, I have been a special education teacher at Athens Drive Magnet High school In Wake County Public Schools in Raleigh, NC. 

I am currently in my 24th year of teaching! 

 

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

When I completed my SPED practicum experience for my special education major. This was the student teaching on the SRU campus at the sheltered school prior to my student teaching/last semester at SRU. I learned so much about working with special education populations as well as some of the little secrets of teaching.

 

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

I will always be grateful to the SRU special ed dept professors. From Dr. Bob to Dr. Livingston, they all taught me unique things about teaching; whether is was classroom discipline, IDEA, or the various SPED identifications, that I still refer to today. 

 

4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I am a second-generation teacher. My father was a public school music teacher. I wanted to follow in his footsteps as well as make a difference in young lives. 

 

5. What do you love most about teaching?

Helping my students. As a high school special education teacher, it is not just about academics. I also teach the life skills that students need to learn in order to become productive and responsible adults.  I enjoy helping and watching my students mature from young, insecure freshmen to confident seniors; who are ready to start the next chapter of their lives. 

 

6. What makes a great teacher?

Someone who is willing to listen and adapt to the needs of his or her students. A person can have all the book smarts in the world, but they have to be able to relate to their students and meet their various needs. Also, a teacher needs to be able to park his or her ego. Bottom line, it is not about that great lesson,  promotion, or accolade.  Teaching is about meeting the needs of the students. Don't ever lose sight of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment