Monday, March 8, 2021

Andrew Huff

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?

North Allegheny ‘91, SRU BS Ed./Biology ‘95, Mississippi State Univ, MS General Biology ‘10. 

Frederick County Middle School, Winchester,Va, 7th grade Life Science Teacher ‘96-‘01.

James Wood High School, Frederick County Public Schools, Winchester, VA ‘01-present, 9th grade Honors Biology & 11/12 AP Biology, Science Department Chairperson.

 

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

While student teaching, I met with my supervisor, Dorothy Kiebler, at her house for a short breakfast meeting. Her commitment to teachers in preservice training and to education in general moved me greatly. She represented all the awesome things SRU had to offer. 

 

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

Dr. Frank Hoffman. Doc’s passion for biology, his sense of humor, and patience with his students is largely what inspired me to shift from a biology major to teaching biology. The opportunity to be a lab assistant gave me those initial jolts of enthusiasm I needed to push me to be a better student and teacher. That, and to always grade in green ink!

 

4. What initially peaked your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

As a 2nd semester freshman, I was struggling with living away from home, juggling a science major course load, and a lack of vision for my future. In talking with Doc Hoffman and also a timely visit with a cousin out in New Mexico with whom I briefly Tutored in Algebra, I realized how much I loved working with people who wanted to learn. 

 

5. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job? 

As an educator in the second half of their career, tired at the end of most days, I find the energy I get from my students when they are excited about a topic really recharges my batteries. This makes me excited to get to school (most days!)

 

6. What makes a great teacher? 

A teacher who listens to, cares for, and makes time for their students. I am in awe of colleagues who give endless hours tutoring, coaching, and supporting students for little or no extra pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment