Monday, October 12, 2020

Sammie Walker Herrera

 


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?

I graduated with my Master's in Student Affairs in Higher Education from the SRU Department of Counseling and Development. Prior, I had studied at Carnegie Mellon University where I earned two Bachelors of Arts degrees, one in Psychology and the other in Hispanic Studies. During my career, I have worked in diversity & inclusion, nonprofit association management, professional staff training, and clinical outpatient support, at various institutional types including mid-size public, Research 1 (R1), small Liberal Arts, and now a large, public R1. Currently, I work as a Career Coach at the University of Florida Career Connections Center (C3) in Gainesville, FL and advise students in the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences (CALS). UF is the #7 top public schools in the nation according to the U.S. News & World Report ranking and our work in the C3 directly supports student outcomes that influence this ranking. 


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

I will never forget resurrecting one of the CDEV traditions for a year, our in-house professional development conference. As President of our Student Affairs Graduate Association (SAGA), our team worked hard to coordinate sessions, encourage students to submit programs, organize the schedule of events, and even hire SRU alumna and superstar, Elise Michaux, to take headshots. It was an awesome opportunity to see what knowledge our peers wanted to share and help them get their toes in the water to present at regional and national conferences in the future.


3. What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program at SRU?

I advise graduate students in education to really look out for opportunities to build experience during your program. There are so many scholarships, internships, and volunteer opportunities that only exist for graduate students, so take the time during a lull in the program to see what opportunities your faculty know of and what's out there through an internet search. For example, I served as a Graduate Association for NASPA, the largest Student Affairs association internationally, an opportunity only open to Master's and doctoral students. This will help differentiate you in a competitive job market. More importantly, you learn about yourself and make lifelong friendships that propel you past your first entry-level job and into a career you're proud of.


4. What initially peaked your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

My undergraduate university didn't have an education department, but if it had, I would have been the first student enrolled! I was trying to find myself in experimental psychology or cognitive science but those weren't social enough areas for me. I did take one education course in undergrad on how K-12 students learn English, math, and writing and though I knew I didn't want to work in K-12, I was hooked to these principles of teaching and learning and started applying them to my own studying. I knew then that I had been an educator the whole time (as a career services peer mentor) and that I could only keep growing my skills.


5. What do you love most about teaching?

I love how personal teaching is. Even when teaching a group of 5 or a seminar with 200 students, I find it so fun and rewarding to learn student stories and help them tell these to others. I try to share more about my identity and my career journey so that if something resonates with another, they can feel confident reaching out to me and knowing I have shared experience. You have to be you to teach.


6. What makes a great teacher?

A great educator is a person who is well-trained in human development and able to navigate many roles: advisor, supervisor, mentor, role model, engaged community member, and higher education advocate.


No comments:

Post a Comment