Monday, June 1, 2020

Dena Kniess



1. What school district and grade/s do you currently teach?
I am an Assistant Professor in Counselor Education and College Student Affairs at the University of West Georgia. I am also the Program Coordinator for the M.Ed. in College Student Affairs.  


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.
One experience that I have not forgotten is attending my first American College Personnel Association - International Conference (ACPA) in 2001 in Boston, MA. It was my first introduction to professional conferences and I had the chance to attend conference sessions, and meet other colleagues. It was also a favorite time because I remember traveling with cohort members Brandi Williams, Traci Miller Watson, and Brenda Fabian.

3. What initially peaked your interest in pursuing a degree in education?
While I was at SRU, I was an Orientation Leader, served on the Student Activities Board, and was a member of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity. I wanted to help students, like me, who were the first in their immediate family to go to college navigate the college environment. I believe education, both curricular and co-curricular experiences, are transformative and that's how I became interested in it.

4. What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program at SRU?
My main piece of advice would be to take advantage of the opportunities you have to engage in professional development in education and always keep current on new technologies used in education.

5. What makes a great teacher?
A great teacher is one who enjoys what they do, wants to inspire and coach students toward success. One of my mentors has this quote in his signature line and it has held true for me at least, "They don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care." Exhibiting care and concern for students and their learning can go a long way.


No comments:

Post a Comment