Monday, September 9, 2019

Adam Huck


1. What school district and grade/s do you currently teach?
I am an Assistant Professor of Education and Director of Initial Certification Graduate Programs at Roberts Wesleyan College in Rochester, NY. I was an elementary classroom teacher for 13 years in the Rush-Henrietta Central School District in Henrietta, NY where I taught grades 3, 4, and 6.


2. What do you love most about teaching?
I enjoy my time in the classroom working with pre-service teachers and helping them gain a deeper understanding of their students and teaching as a profession. The best part of my job is the one-on-one conversations I have with new teachers and the opportunities to advise and guide them. As a classroom teacher, I worked with student teachers and it was rewarding for me to watch their professional and instructional growth. This was one of the reasons I pursued a position in higher education. In my current position, I work with many new and emerging teachers as they develop their pedagogical skills. Becoming a great teacher is a long journey and I am fortunate to have the opportunity to contribute in the early stages of their careers.


3What has been your most rewarding experience as a teacher/professor? If you cannot narrow it to one, describe one rewarding experience.
Hearing from former students is always incredibly rewarding. It is wonderful to have someone share their successes with you. Recently, a former student teacher asked if I could write a letter of recommendation and serve as a reference while she searched for her first teaching position. About a month ago, she contacted me again and was overjoyed when she shared with me the great news that she was offered a contract and will teach second grade. She is a great teacher and it was well deserved.


4. What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program at SRU?
Any time I speak with pre-service teachers I give three pieces of advice. First, ask questions. It shows an interest in the profession and a desire to learn. Second, make reading a priority in your life. You will obviously read children's books as you plan your lessons, but read for your own enjoyment and share your reading interests with your students. Additionally, continue to read professional books about teaching after you graduate. Teachers are always looking to improve and you should keep current with new ideas, trends, and research. Often, course textbooks can get expensive. However, try to identify some to keep for the creation of your professional library. Third, recognize the foundation that education has built at SRU and carry your Rock degree with pride.


5. What makes a great teacher?
There is a personal connection with great teachers. They have a deep understanding of not only the content, but also their students. They know their students' personalities, interests, and academic strengths in order to create learning experiences that endure. Additionally, great teachers are "lifelong learners" and are always looking to improve in all facets of their profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment