Monday, January 29, 2018

Hannah Gigler




What is your educational background and what positions have you held?
I graduated from Slippery Rock University with a bachelors of science in Education. I studied Early Childhood Education and Special Education. This is my first teaching job. I work at Triangle Elementary School in Triangle, VA and I am a fourth grade teacher!

What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?
The most rewarding aspect of my job is helping children reach the potential they didn't think they had. Many students try to give up, but being able to support them, push them, and watch them succeed at something they thought was not possible makes it worth it. I also love being a support system for my students. I work for a Title 1 school and many of the students are in low-income areas. Giving them support that they may not get at home makes me feel so good about what I do.

What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students generally?
Advice I would give: DON'T STRESS OUT!! Right now, it may seem like everything is so hard and it'll never end -- but it will! And when it is all over, you'll be so thankful you chose SRU and the education program. Take a deep breath, drink some coffee, and power through. It'll all be okay!

Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.
Dr. Badgett and basically the entire special education department had a positive influence on me. Every single one of those professors are amazing and have endless advice. They have stories that make you really appreciate what being a teacher is about. They will encourage you and help you with any question. I loved being in their classes because they were so kind and empowering. The special education department is part of the reason I kept pushing through and helped me become the teacher I am today.

What makes a great teacher?
That is a loaded question. Some would say it is the grades that student get. Others would say the standardized testing scores. Others would say how they act in the classroom. Personally, I think it's the image you leave in a student's mind years after they leave your classroom. It is about when they think back to that time you helped them understand fractions for the first time, or when you taught them to read context clues. I think it comes down to impact you made on that students life that makes a great teacher. Showing a student their untapped potential is what makes a great teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment