Thursday, September 21, 2017

Brittany Venetti


Being that it is the beginning of a new school year, it is important to set a positive tone and have a safe classroom environment. The motto for my classroom this year is "It's Cool to Be Kind" and "Be Kind, Always." My students had the opportunity to sign the Kindness contract, which you can see in the center of my bulletin board. We then completed an activity where each student wrote something nice about themselves, something kind about a friend, and then I wrote a nice message about them. These "Kind Note" posters are also featured on the bulletin board.

Where are you teaching? What subjects and grades?
I am in my 2nd year of teaching at Rochester Elementary in Rochester, Pennsylvania. Last year I was the 3rd and 4th grade Learning Support teacher. This year I am the 4th and 5th grade Learning Support teacher, so I have been blessed with getting to teach the same students for another school year! I teach Reading, Language Arts, Mathematics, and Writing.
What have you done particularly well in your position?
I believe I have done a nice job creating positive relationships with my students and their families.
What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program?
My advice would be to fully invest in the teacher preparation program. Go to class, do the work, and you will see successful results in your future. Also, take full advantage of your field placements and student teaching by making positive relationships with your cooperating teachers. Make sure you ask questions and do not be afraid to make mistakes because that is how you learn!
What SRU experience or faculty positively influenced you, and in what way?
I am thankful for all of the hands-on experiences that the teacher preparation program at SRU provided me with. They really get you in the classroom from the start! The SRU experiences that positively influenced me the most were my field and student teaching placements. Shout out to Mrs. Shannon Abbott , Mrs. Patti Shaffer, Mrs. Michelle Sappas, and Mrs. Bethany Barrett! These ladies have been wonderful influences in my life inside the classroom as well as outside of it. I am grateful for them being my mentors and sharing their passion for teaching while I was a student at Slippery Rock University.
What makes a great teacher?
Heart is what makes a great teacher. The sad reality is that school will be the only form of stability in some of your students' lives! These children will look up to you in ways that you cannot even imagine. You could be the reason they wake up in the morning and the reason they smile during the school day. Be kind, loving, and warm. Offer your students grace and patience because they will absolutely test it, but they deserve your best every day. As the poster on my classroom door reads, "Keep Shining. The world needs your light!"

No comments:

Post a Comment