Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Sean Fleming

 


Where are you teaching? What subjects and grades?
I am teaching at Central Career and Technical High School in Erie, PA.  I teach 9th Grade World Cultures and 11th Grade Modern American History.
 
What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program?
Go into teaching with an open mind, whether it be with lesson planning or with the career field itself.  I would also like to tell them good luck!
 
What is one positive experience that you have had with a student?
One of my better students had suddenly stop doing his work and was acting out in class.  After class one day I had him stay after to talk to him and see what was going on.  It turns out the student had recently been informed that he would be moving out of state in two weeks and was very upset to move away from his friends.  He was really surprised that I asked him, and he even told me a teacher had never done anything like that for him before.  He really appreciated it. In return, he was no longer disrupting class for the remainder of his time here before he moved.
 
What makes a great teacher?
I think there are plenty of things that go into a great teacher.  So far from my experience I would say the biggest thing is building a rapport with your students.  Showing an interest in students and showing them that you care can make all the difference.  By showing them you care, students will in turn show more respect and have more interest in your class.  

No comments:

Post a Comment