Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Stephanie Cicero



















What has been your experience as a professional teacher/educator/administrator?
My experience as a professional teacher has been very rewarding.  It was a wonderful feeling when I got my first job offer.  It was very satisfying to know that all of my hard work during my college days at SRU was worthwhile.  Not every day is easy, but the students make every day meaningful.

Where do you work? What is your current position?
After I graduated in May 2012, I received a job offer from the Titusville Area School District in Titusville, PA.  This is now my fifth year of teaching at two of the three elementary schools in the district.   I teach general music to approximately 500 students in first through fifth grade and also the fifth grade band.

What is one positive experience that you have had with a student, or a student story that you would like to share?
One of my favorite moments came during my second year of teaching.  That year, I had decided to do an Olympic theme.  In each music class, we learned about a different country and sang songs/played instruments from those cultures.  The concert was absolutely amazing!  It even involved a medal ceremony for the classes that earned the most points through participation.  

One day, a student came up to me and gave me a paper gold medal.  It said “best music teacher ever” and had a string attached so I could wear it around my neck.  What made it a truly special moment was the student who gave it to me.  I had no idea how much he really enjoyed music and knowing that I made such an impact on him was incredible.  He went from barely singing in class one year to joining the show choir the following year!     

What advice would you give to current college students who are preparing to be teachers?
My most important piece of advice is to take every experience and learn from it.  It can be very easy to say a class, lecture, presentation, etc. was “pointless” or “a waste of time”.  As teachers, we are constantly reflecting and learning from each lesson we teach.  If you have an open mind, you can always learn something new from every experience you encounter.     

What is one thing that you learned from Slippery Rock University’s teacher    preparation program that you have integrated into your profession?
The music department was absolutely outstanding and I credit the professors for giving me such a “rock” solid foundation.  They truly cared about each of us finding success as a teacher.  They set high standards in every area of the teaching world.  I am successful not only with teaching, but with the paperwork and professional aspects of the job as well.
     
What is one challenge that you have faced thus far and how have you successfully dealt with it during your professional/teaching experience? (Only successful experiences/outcomes)
When I was hired, I was told that the students were not huge fans of music.  Concert attendance (which is voluntary) was extremely low. This was something my administrators wanted to see change.  As an arts teacher, you never want to hear that students do not appreciate or care for your subject that you truly love.  I found ways to make music connect with the students.  I created year-long themes that incorporated other subject areas for students to see that there are connections between music and their daily lives.  I am proud to say that for our voluntary concerts, the percentage of students attending has greatly increased.  Due to this fact, concerts are now held in the high school auditorium where there is more seating available.  This past year, concert attendance reached 90% participation!

What are a few of your career goals?
My goal has always been to teach students through music.  My hope is that I can continue to do that for years to come.  

Why did you choose education as your profession?
I always wanted to be a teacher.  My dad was a history teacher for 37 years and retired only two years ago.  I would go to school with my dad whenever I could and would play school at home.  This is the only profession I have ever considered and it really has been the best decision to follow in my dad’s footsteps.  

What makes a great teacher?

At almost every concert, I have at least one parent who comes up to me and says how much they enjoyed the concert and how it looks like I was having a lot of fun.  I always tell them, “I am having fun!”  I am fortunate that my subject allows for a lot of flexibility and interactive participation.  If you make teaching enjoyable and show the students how much you love what you do, they will love what you teach!

No comments:

Post a Comment