Thursday, July 28, 2016

Deanna Rae



What year did you graduate from SRU and what was your major?
May 2014 - early childhood education



What jobs have you landed?
I am a third grade math and science teacher at Clarksville Elementary in Mecklenburg county schools VA

How did you prepare for the interview for the job you landed?

I practiced interview questions. I attended the job fairs and that in where I learned a lot about Virginia Schools.

What have you done well at that job?
I have built wonderful relationships with my students that still hold true even with they move to fourth grade. I make learning fun and the kids remember me that way.

What types of recognition, awards, honors or even activities have you been involved in?
Recently I was chosen by the Virginia Department of Education to speak at the VCTM (Virginia council of teaching mathematics) conference to present my teaching strategies. Schools from across the state have been emailing me for some tips and tricks I use in my classroom.

What SRU experience or faculty influenced you and in what way?
I was a community assistant in the dorms and it really helped me to mature and take responsibility for people. Dr. McCollin was a big inspiration to me as well as Dr. Lee Williams. They treated me as another teacher and not as a student, but also showed me so much more to teaching than the lesson plans and paperwork.

What else can you tell us about your success story that SRU students could learn from?
Don't be afraid to take a risk. Everything works for a reason. No matter what career you choose, make sure every day you are excited to go to your job. I was hired in Virginia one week before my wedding day and started the day after my honeymoon. I never imagined I would live this far way. I just recently bought a house and I love every second I spend at my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment