Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Leah Smith


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.


I went to SRU for Early Childhood Education and Dance. I worked at Plum Borough School District briefly before moving to Arlington, Virginia where I taught kindergarten, and am now teaching 2nd grade. I am in the Arlington County Public School District, right outside of Washington, DC.

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.


I will never forget my first field experience during my 2nd year at Butler Area School District working with 4th graders. My cooperating teacher gave me a lot of teaching time and it solidified my decision on wanting to be a teacher. 

3. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?


I knew from a young age I wanted to be a teacher, my mom is a kindergarten teacher and I grew up volunteering and helping out in her classroom. I also had an internship in high school working with my local elementary and pre-school, and it helped me make the decision to pursue teaching. 


My favorite part of being a teacher is seeing the academic and social growth students make from the beginning to the end of year. I love providing a learning community where students feel valued and successful with clear routines and expectations. 

5. What makes a great teacher? 


A great teacher is someone who is willing to adapt lessons when needed and stay relevant with best teaching practices. They aspire to make school a positive environment and understand what each child needs to succeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment