Sunday, October 8, 2023

Tanner Garry

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.

I graduated in December of 2017 with a degree in Health and Wellness education. I am currently in my sixth year as a high school Health and Wellness educator in the Canon McMillan school district.  I teach grades 9-12 Physical Education and 9th grade Health. 


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.


I remember the day that I learned where I would be placed for my student teaching experience. I was placed at North Allegheny and Dr. Nichols said he placed me there to challenge me and force me out of my comfort zone of growing up in a small school district. My time at North Allegheny helped me realize what I needed to do in order to be on the cutting edge of what schools should and could offer in their Health and Wellness programs. The programs that were offered at NA should be what all schools in PA aspire to become. 


3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.


I would have to say Dr. Leight had the most impact on me. Whether it was assisting with getting me into classes that I needed or providing me with mentoring, she was so helpful in so many ways, even after I graduated and was very active in our lives outside of the classroom. She was an avid fan of Slippery Rock athletics and she made sure to wish us well and congratulate all of our efforts. 


4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?


My family is made up of teachers. My grandfather, father, mother, Aunt, and sister are all teachers. Education was a very big part of my upbringing. It just seemed like a natural choice for me to become a teacher.


5. What do you love most about teaching?


I love that I can impact so many young lives in a positive way. Whether it be in health class where I am teaching, so many crucial topics to young teenagers, or through physical education and teaching the importance of being a lifelong wellness participant.


6. What makes a great teacher?


I think great teachers are the ones that actually care about their students and are willing to help them in other ways besides the material that is being presented in class. Students need to feel comfortable in a classroom in order to learn. I never wanted students dreading to come to my class. I am hopeful that they are eager to attend my classes and learn things that will assist them in living better lives. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment