Sunday, October 22, 2023

Johnna Regan


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.

I graduated from SRU in 2013 with a degree in Exercise Science and from Pitt in 2014 with a Masters in Exercise Physiology. I then returned to The Rock obtaining my degree in Middle Level Science education in 2018. I held long term sub positions in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade science at Dorseyville Middle School and Derry Area Middle School. I am in my 4th year teaching 7th grade science at Dorseyville Middle School in the Fox Chapel Area School District. 


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

There are many wonderful memories from SRU, but one experience that always sticks out in my mind is playing at PIMBA with the Marching Pride during my undergrad. Aside from an outstanding performance, the whole experience was a lot of fun and one of our last times playing together that season. 

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

Dr. Hicks was one of my most influential professors during my time in the College of Education. His passion for education was apparent in each of his lessons. He led by example and had many stories from the classroom to share. Although he was not my advisor, his door was always open to help with any question or issue. 

4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I knew from a young age that I wanted to be a teacher and would find myself playing pretend school any chance I had. I also had many influential teachers and coaches throughout high school that showed me the positive impact of compassionate educators. The first time I was in a classroom in the teacher’s role, I knew that was where I wanted to be. 

5. What do you love most about teaching?

I love getting to share my passion of science with my students and see them get excited, make connections, and become inquisitive about our world. Seeing students have their “ah-ha!” moment, or hearing a student say that now they enjoy science makes all of the challenges that come with education worth it. Additionally, every day brings something new and I enjoy building my classroom community to be a welcoming and fun place for students to be. 

6. What makes a great teacher?

A great teacher is one who teaches by example- shows students how to succeed, but also how to embrace making mistakes while learning. A great teacher is empathetic, compassionate, excited, resourceful, and flexible to meet the needs of students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment