Monday, September 11, 2023

Nicole Pierce

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.

I attended Slippery Rock University for my undergraduate degree in Early Childhood Education (PK-4) and Special Education (K-8). I eventually decided that I wanted to work with older kids and got my special education expansion so I could work with special education students grades 9-12. I have since gotten a masters degree from PennWest University in Educational Leadership and a Principal Certification. 

I currently work at McKeesport Area High School in McKeesport, PA as a 9-12 supplemental level special education teacher. I also teach 3 of our special education math classes. The position I am in allows for me to have the best of both worlds, I get to be a special education teacher and I get to teach classes as a general education teacher would, just with my special education students. 

I also taught at York County School Division in Virginia for one year after I graduated from SRU. I was a special education teacher and worked primarily with 3rd grade students. After that, I moved back to Pennsylvania and worked at Propel Charter Schools-McKeesport for 2 years. I was the 7th and 8th grade special education teacher throughout my time there.

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

An SRU experience that I will never forget is my student teaching experience, specifically the second half where I was in a special education placement. It truly opened my eyes to the special education world, and ultimately influenced my decision to pursue special education in my teaching career.


3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

Dr. Bieniek had such a positive influence on me. He was one of my professors as well as my student teaching supervisor. In his classes he shared stories and offered real life advice as a special education teacher. I feel that I learned so much from his stories and listening to his advice on a multitude of things-teaching related or not. I still find myself utilizing his advice in my current position, even from nearly 5 years ago now. I cannot thank him enough for the positive influence he has had on me as a person and as an educator.

4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I don’t recall a specific time where I said I want to be a teacher. Ever since I was a little kid, I knew I wanted to teach. I would play school with my friends and my brother as a child (of course I was always the teacher) and grew up knowing that was what I wanted to do with my life. I catered my high school experience to set me up to go to college for education.

5. What do you love most about teaching?

The thing I love most about teaching is my students. Building relationships and rapport with students is not only one of the most important aspects of teaching, but also my favorite part. If there is not a mutual respect between students and teachers it becomes difficult to create a learning environment where students can learn. I love making connections with students and offering a safe space/being a safe person for them to come to when they need.

6. What makes a great teacher?

I think there are a lot of things that make a great teacher. Patience always seems to be the first thing you hear when talking about characteristics of a teacher. I admit that patience is very important to be a great teacher, but in addition to that, flexibility and organization are also on my list. In addition, I believe that a positive attitude and showing up for your students day in and day out makes all the difference in the world. All students want is to know that you care about them. When you have achieved that, the sky is the limit. At the end of the day, all great teachers are in it for their students! 

No comments:

Post a Comment